No fewer than 50 shops were destroyed by fire yesterday at the Ladipo Auto Spares Market, Mushin, Lagos.
The early morning inferno, which started at about 3:30, at Freedom Line Market, by Alhaji Akinwunmi Street, destroyed goods, particularly, vehicle spare parts, worth millions of naira.
While addressing newsmen present at the scene of the inferno, the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Agency (LASEMA), Mr. Michael Akindele, said that the fire was caused by a 33KVA high voltage aluminum cable which fell on some shops within the market.
The fire, he said, was able to spread quickly due to the presence of grease and other combustible materials stored in the market.
“Most of the stalls were constructed directly under the high tension cable which runs through the market. We didn’t record any casualty.
“The fire was curtailed from spreading to other shops.
“The fire was put out, but, our men will remain on ground to forestall further outbreak.
“Lagos State Fire Services, the agency’s emergency response team and police officers from Mushin are still on ground,” he said.
ALSO READ: FG Seeks Support From Australia To Improve Mining Sector
Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasak Fadipe also confirmed that no life was lost in the inferno.
He disclosed that immediately they got a distress call, his men responded promptly and added that the fire was completely put out at about 10:00am
Mr Nkire Ezeigbo, Public Relations Officer, Ladipo Auto Dealers Association, confirmed to Daily Sun that the fire started from the Osoro-Akinwumi axis of the market.
Mr Felix Okoro, Chairman of the Osoro section of the market, also reiterated that no casualty was recorded but lamented that goods worth millions of naira were consumed by the inferno.
The distressed chairman noted that some goods were offloaded from containers shortly before the fire incident and added that it was a huge calamity to befall traders in that section of the market.