United Bank of Africa (UBA) has reacted to report of their involvement in the funding of the failed coup plot in Turkey.
Earlier last week a Turkey-based newspaper, Yenisafak, had reported that some of those arrested in connection with the July 15, 2016 failed coup plot had told their interrogators that UBA Plc and a United States of America Army General, John F. Campbell, arranged for the funding of the coup plot.
The newspaper alleged that the funds, in the region of $2 billion, was moved from the United States of America into UBA Plc from where it was funneled to the coup plotters.
ALSO READ CBN Raises Interest Rate From 12% To 14%
But UBA Plc, in a statement by its Head of Communications, Charles Aigbe, denied involvement in the failed coup plot.
Aigbe in a terse statement on Tuesday said: “UBA is aware of the on-going and spurious media speculation linking our institution to recent events in Turkey.”
“In light of this we believe it is necessary to categorically state that UBA has no involvement in or connection to these accusations, which are clearly false.
“We remain focused and firmly committed to delivering on our strategy to build Africa’s premier banking institution.