‘I Never Told Buhari Not To Contest In 2019’ – Obasanjo

Forrmer President, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Sunday denied a report claiming that he told President Muhammadu Buhari not to contest in 2019.

Obasanjo in a secret meeting with Buhari earlier this year.
Obasanjo in a secret meeting with Buhari earlier this year.

Obasanjo’s forrmer Chief Press Secretary Alex Nwokedi, had reportedly told an online publication that the ex-president warned President Buhari not to contest in 2019. The former President, in a statement said he has not communicated with Nwokedi in the last three years.

“My belief is that democracy allowed for anybody including President Buhari for that matter to contest any election and it is the prerogative rights of Nigerians to vote or not to vote for them,” the ex-president said.

ALSO READ: 13 Record Breaking Transfers In The Premier League This Season

“I have not communicated with Alex in the last three years, so how a story could be credited to me, when I did not authorize such or communicate with him in the last three years?”

The former leader said he could never give Buhari such advice.

“I condemn in the most highest manner the story and those behind it. And for those behind it, they are simply enemies of democracy and freedom of expression,” he said.

Previous ArticleNext Article
Chukwuyem Ogala is a content writer at Edliner. A multifaceted personality with a degree in Economics. He has a strong passion for Rap music and sports. A big fan of the NBA, likes Rafael Nadal and has a crush on Serena Williams. Chuks just strives to be better and wants to be heard globally.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *