Suspected Boko Haram gunmen on horseback raided Zongo village in Yobe State killing at least 11 people in the process.
Speaking to newsmen, two members of the civilian JTF (Joint Task Force) said that the attack happened overnight on Tuesday to Wednesday, and that it came two weeks after a similar attack on two nearby villages left at least 20 dead, said Aisami Mamman.
“They (Boko Haram) came around midnight (2300 GMT Tuesday) and started firing gunshots in the village. This prompted residents to flee into the bush,” said Mamman.
“They pursued them, shooting at them while others set fire to the whole village. The whole village was burnt. Eleven people were killed and several others were injured, six of them critically.
“They were brought here to Damaturu where they are receiving treatment for gunshot wounds.” He added.
Mamman suggested the attackers in Zango came from the Sambisa Forest area of neighbouring Borno, where Boko Haram has long had camps.
“Exactly two weeks ago there was a similar attack on two villages nearby.
ALSO READ: APC Will Not Sacrifice Senate Presidency – Odigie-Oyegun
They attacked Gurum and Dokshi villages,” he said in an account of both incidents supported by another militia member.
“They burnt them completely and killed more than 20 residents.” Boko Haram has killed nearly 1,900 people since President Muhammadu Buhari took office in May last year, according to AFP reporting.
Overall, an estimated 20,000 people have been killed since the start of the insurgency in 2009.