Impeachment of a sitting president is highly unprecedented in Nigeria. It has never happened before, it sounds most ridiculous and to many, it will never happen. Yet, here am i suggesting that President Buhari will break record in an infamous way by being the first elected president to be impeached by the lawmakers.
Reports indicate that an army of powerful men from the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, and the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, have started to gang up against Buhari, for the purpose of throwing him out of power.
The President has been implicated in the many crisis that have been rocking the 8th Senate.
Recall, that on Tuesday, July 12, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, during an executive session, was reported to have openly suggested that President Buhari should be impeached.
Here are 5 reasons why the Senate may possibly impeach President Buhari:
- Northernization IdealogyA lot of high ranking Nigerians believe that Buhari is on a mission to northernize Nigeria.
His political appointments have raised major questions about the country’s unity. More regions are crying for restructuring of the country. However, the President is fast losing his support, as many of his political supporters from the Senate, have openly admitted that his appointments have been biased.
- Constant Interference in the Senate“It is time to call a spade, a spade, and the Nigerian Senate and Legislature deserve to be respected”, Senator Biodun Olujimi, cried out on Tuesday 12th, July.
The outcry was caused by a recent remark by President Buhari’s highest ranking appointee, Babachir Lawal, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, that the recommendations from the National Confab would not be implemented.
Buhari and his appointees have shown gross disregard for the Nigerian Senate, and the Senators are getting tired of being disrespected. They want a President who would respect their positions.
- Matters arising over 2016 BudgetOver the years, there have been rumours of major budget padding. Nigerian Senators allegedly extort the executive, before any budget is passed. The 2016 budget was almost passed in the same way, until stories of budget padding leaked to the press for the first time in the history of Nigeria, thereby resulting in a huge national and international shame on the nation.
The presidency quickly distanced itself from the misconduct, and went on to submit different versions of the budget, which were allegedly de-padded to the National assembly.
Without sharp practices like budget padding, most Senators will never recover their campaign funds. Renowned for their selfish ways, President Buhari, may have to go, so that Senators can recoup their lost monies.
- Perception that Buhari is behind Saraki’s persecutions Since Saraki became President of the Senate against the wish of his party, there have been multiple attempts to remove him.
Today, the Senate President is one of the most embattled politicians in Nigeria. His troubles seem to have no regard for his position as Nigeria’s Number three (3) citizen. Top sources have predicted that the only way for Saraki to remain as President of the Senate, is to impeach Buhari.
- To save their own seatsThe Nigerian economy is sinking and the common man on the street is getting more dissatisfied by the day. Most people on the streets, blame President Buhari for the hardship. People are increasingly dissatisfied that the President is “fighting corruption”, while allowing his people starve.
When the Nigerian populace turn against their Senators, Buhari may become a scapegoat.